For PhD students beginning in 2016 or after
Applications for the doctoral procedure
Applications for the initiation of the procedure for obtaining a doctoral degree (hereinafter: doctoral procedure) shall be submitted in a request form. Accepting the request form is the competence of the Faculty Doctoral Council, which also decides the composition of the Assessment Committee (Final Examination Board). (Faculty Doctoral Regulations Section 33.)
The final deadline for the submission of the request form is 6 months before the final deadline of the submission of the final version of the dissertation.
The following documents should be submitted:
- application form (see below download link)
- pre-degree certificate (absolutorium)
- the certificate testifying the university degree or its authenticated copy (in the case of a degree obtained abroad its original nostrified copy)
- certificates testifying foreign language competence
- professional CV
- the candidate’s professional bibliography and his/her list of publications, signed by the supervisor. (Only such publications may be taken into consideration which may be found in the MTMT database pursuant to the directive of the Rector on the register of the University’s publications.)
- short summary (3-5 pages) of the dissertation
- the applicant’s declaration that he/she has no pending doctoral procedure in the same discipline and has not had a rejected application for the initiation of the doctoral procedure for 2 years (included in the application form)
- minutes of the preliminary scientific assessment (in-house defence)- If you already completed it!
In case of in-person application, all the required documents shall be submitted in 2 copies. During the period of online customer service, the following rules are applicable
Submitting the dissertation
The final deadline for the submission of the dissertation is three academic years (August 31) after the date of the comprehensive examination. (NHEA Section 53. paragraph 4.)
For students taking the comprehensive exam between 1 February, 2018 and 31 August, 2021, the final deadline is four academic years (August 31) after the date of the comprehensive examination (Gov. Decr. 217/2021 §1).
The dissertation must go through a preliminary scientific assessment (in-house defence) prior to its submission. (See below)
The final submission deadline can be extended by a year due to extraordinary circumstances pending special permission. (NHEA Section 53. paragraph 4.) The request form for the special permission has to be submitted before the final submission deadline to the Doctoral Council of the Faculty of Humanities. The documents corroborating the special circumstances as well as the supervisor’s letter of recommendation has to be attached to the request form.
The final deadline for the submission of the official proof regarding the knowledge of a second foreign language is the date of the submission of the final version of the dissertation. This proof can be a state-accredited or equivalent intermediate (B2) or higher level comprehensive/oral /written certificate. (Faculty Doctoral Regulations Section 31. paragraph 2-3.)
Formal Criteria for the Dissertation is available here.
Preliminary scientific assessment (in-house defence)
The preliminary scientific assessment (in-house defence) is organised by the doctoral programs according to the rules and conditions set forth in the regulations of the doctoral schools.
The minutes of the preliminary scientific assessment has to be sent to the Department Of Doctoral And Academic Affairs.
The preliminary scientific assessment has to be organised 90 days before the submission of the final version of the dissertation.